We really love dogs at Aussie Dog Care Based in Romiley Stockport so here is some advice in the winter days to come ..or have started!
“At the coldest times of year, there are many precautions that can be taken to keep dogs safe and well despite heavy rain, snow and ice. Our Veterinary Director, Paula Boyden, suggests the following:
- Let your dog’s winter coat grow, and if you have a puppy, short-haired or old dog it is a good idea to buy him a sensible coat to keep out the chill.
- After walking your dog or if he has been out in the rain, make sure he iscompletely dried so that he does not catch a cold. Consider using our Paw Protection Cream and Snout Balm to prevent and soothe cracked pads and snouts.
- Keep your dog on a lead if it is snowing very heavily. Snow can be disorienting and can affect a dog’s sense of smell so he could become lost easily.
- Make sure your dog is microchipped and wearing an ID tag in case he does get lost.
- Grit used to melt snow can cut their paws and make sure you wipe your dog’s legs, feet and stomach when you come indoors after a snowy walk. Washing and wiping your dog’s feet after walks will also prevent stray lumps of ice getting painfully trapped in their paws.
- Antifreeze is highly poisonous but tasty to dogs! Keep it well out of their reach.
- Never leave your dog in a car during extreme weather, hot or cold.
- Do not let your dog walk on frozen ponds – the ice may not be thick enough to take his weight.
- If your dog does fall through the ice never be tempted to go after them but encourage them to swim back to you.”
Above quoted from http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/w/winter/#.UjeBh-ApKyc
The local areas I work/ cover in is Romiley , Stockport , Woodley, Bredbury , Hyde , Gee Cross , Hazel Grove , Godley , Disley , Marple , Marple Bridge , Glossop , Poynton , Higher Poynton , New Mills , Hayfield , Whaley Bridge , Mellor. If you are not situated in one of these areas do not hesitate to contact me as other areas are considered. These do not apply for home boarding.
Aussie Dog Care Email : ATHOMPS1@sky.com
Aussie Dog Care Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/AussieDogCareUk for updates when you go away for peace of mind as well as some walking clients.
Aussie Dog Care Twitter : https://twitter.com/AussieDogCare
Aussie Dog Care
The Best Care For Your Furry Friends.
Tailoring to your needs