Three Shires Head is a fantastic walk in the peak district to do with family , dogs or just by yourself .
Below information quoted from http://walkpeakdistrict.com/three-shires-head/
- Free parking (car park has three picnic tables, but no toilet facilities; no height restriction; no overnight parking or camping). Sadly, there’s NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT to this location.
- 4½ miles (7¼ kilometres) circular walk
- 2 to 2½ hours at a leisurely pace
- Mixed terrain (including rough rocky tracks, and boggy ground after rain); not suitable for wheelchair users or for pushchairs.
- 4 stiles (including one ladder stile)
Start and finish at Clough House Car Park (arrowed on the map below). The following may help if you use a satnav:
- nearest postcode: SK11 0BD (this postcode is actually in Wildboarclough village, about 1 kilometre south of Clough House Car Park)
- Latitude, Longitude: 53.225, -2.020
- Ordnance Survey grid reference: SJ 987 698
Or get directions to the start from Google Maps.
About the walk
This pleasant circuit of a little over 4 miles takes you out to Three Shires Head and back. Taking in secluded river valleys, mature woodland, a couple of miniature waterfalls, open sheep pasture and heather moorland, there are also some gentle hills to stretch the legs nicely—285 metres (935 feet) ascent and descent in total. Could take as little as 1¼ hours if you don’t hang about, but on a nice day there are plenty of excuses to dally, particularly at the packhorse bridge at Three Shires Head, so allow a good 2 hours.
The route remains within Cheshire throughout, but follows the county boundary with Derbyshire, and then Staffordshire, near Three Shires Head. Technically, you could stand with one foot in Cheshire, one foot in Derbyshire, and
one foot a hand in Staffordshire, but you’ll get very wet trying…
The local areas I work/ cover in is Romiley , Stockport , Woodley, Bredbury , Hyde , Gee Cross , Hazel Grove , Godley , Disley , Marple , Marple Bridge , Glossop , Poynton , Higher Poynton , New Mills , Hayfield , Whaley Bridge , Mellor. If you are not situated in one of these areas do not hesitate to contact me as other areas are considered. These do not apply for home boarding.
Aussie Dog Care Email : ATHOMPS1@sky.com
Aussie Dog Care Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/AussieDogCareUk for updates when you go away for peace of mind as well as some walking clients.
Aussie Dog Care Twitter : https://twitter.com/AussieDogCare
Aussie Dog Care
The Best Care For Your Furry Friends.
Tailoring to your needs